Doshisha University
  • Home
  • Contact
  • Access & Campus Map
  1. Home
  2.  > About Doshisha
  3.  > Facilities Related to the History of Doshisha

Facilities Related to the History of Doshisha

Historical Museum, Kyotanabe Campus

Doshisha University Historical Museum is a museum-equivalent establishment that first opened in February 1996. The collection of the museum contains about 850,000 archeological, folkloristic and ethnological artifacts that were gathered during extensive archaeological research and investigation throughout Japan. This nationwide work was conducted by Doshisha University’s former professors in archaeology, the late Nakao Sakazume, and Koichi Mori, as well as the current professor at the Archaeological Laboratory (Department of Cultural History), Kazuto Matsufuji. Artifacts in the collection also came from excavation and research conducted on the Imadegawa, Shinmachi and Kyotanabe campuses by the Doshisha University Committee of Academic Investigation on Campus. In addition, the museum makes ruins and remains preserved on the Kyotanabe Campus available to the public who can utilize them for educational and research purposes. These include the Tenjinyama Ruins, the Geshi Tumulus, and the Miyakodani Dwellings from the 15th and 16th centuries.
Historical Museum
Address
Historical Museum, Kyotanabe Campus
1-3 Tatara Miyakodani, Kyotanabe-shi, Kyoto-fu 610-0394
Access (Kyotanabe Campus)
Campus Map (Historical Museum : Chishinkan2 Building)

For inquiry, please contact :

Historical Museum

Telephone : +81-774-65-7255
Fax : +81-774-65-7257
E-mail : jt-reksi@mail.doshisha.ac.jp
Contact Us

For further information, please visitHistorical Museum

The website of the Historical Museum also provides information on the following :

  • Information
  • Articles
  • Research (bulletins and reports)
  • Display
  • Database

Harris Science Hall Doshisha Gallery, Imadegawa Campus

The Harris Science Hall Doshisha Gallery is an exhibition facility that showcases the fascinating history of Doshisha through the display of a variety of invaluable artifacts. The gallery also highlights founder Joseph Neesima’s visionary spirit, which continues to thrive on campus today.

The original Harris Science Hall was built in 1890 with a generous donation from Mr. J. N. Harris, after whom the building was named. Designated as an Important Cultural Property of Japan, it has long been a hub for the university’s physical and chemical science education. Following extensive renovations in 2013, the building was renamed the Harris Science Hall Doshisha Gallery, serving as a new base for disseminating information about Doshisha. The gallery includes exhibition rooms where a wide range of permanent and special exhibitions are open to visitors throughout the year. In addition, the history of Kyoto is introduced through a display of archeological materials and ancient documents excavated on campus. The gallery will continue to convey the appeal of Doshisha by utilizing various materials and resources.

Harris Science Hall Doshisha Gallery WEBSITE
Harris Science Hall
Address
Harris Science Hall, Imadegawa Campus
Karasuma-higashi-iru, Imadegawa-dori, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto-shi 602-8580
Access (Imadegawa Campus)
Campus Map (Harris Science Hall)

For inquiry, please contact :

Doshisha Archives Center

Telephone : +81-75-251-3042
Fax : +81-75-251-3055
E-mail : ji-shasi@mail.doshisha.ac.jp
Contact Us

Repository of Neesima Memorabilia, Imadegawa Campus

The Repository of Neesima Memorabilia began construction in 1940 as part of a project commemorating fifty years since the passing of Neesima, and was completed in 1942 with funds from Doshisha graduates, including Shotaro Ikeda. The building was designed by W. M. Vories of Ichiyanage Architectural Firm with a total construction budget of 18,000 yen. When it was built, it was a brick, colonial-style building comprising two exhibition rooms - one large and one small - with a total floor space of 24.5 tsubo (80.85 square meters). With the collection increasing year by year, a permanent exhibition room (the Harris Science Hall Doshisha Gallery) was established in 1996, which for the first time allowed the display items and storage items to be kept separate. The repository was renovated in 2000 at a cost of around 42 million yen. Work included improving the building’s ability to withstand earthquakes, the installation of air-conditioning systems and filing cabinets, and the remodeling of its interior. The collection of the repository comprises some 6,000 artifacts and includes Neesima’s letters, diaries, manuscripts, calligraphy, personal belongings and portraits.
Repository of Neesima Memorabilia
Address
Repository of Neesima Memorabilia, Imadegawa Campus
Karasuma-higashi-iru, Imadegawa-dori, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto-shi 602-8580
Access (Imadegawa Campus)
Campus Map (Repository of Neesima Memorabilia)

For inquiry, please contact :

Doshisha Archives Center

Telephone : +81-75-251-3042
Fax : +81-75-251-3055
E-mail : ji-shasi@mail.doshisha.ac.jp
Contact Us