Recruitment of Teachers and Staff（Faculty of Global Communications）
One Limited-term Contract Teaching Position, Beginning April 2020
English Course Section, Faculty of Global Communications, Doshisha University
Position:Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor, depending on qualifications
- General English courses for all undergraduate faculties in the university
- Major courses for the Faculty of Global Communications
Contract period:From April 1, 2020 to March 31, 2025 (non-renewable)
Qualifications and Application conditions (All of the following must be satisfied):
- First language is English
- Holder of a Master’s degree or above in the area of English language education (TESOL), applied linguistics, or a related academic field
- At least three years’ English teaching experience at the university level
- Sufficient Japanese proficiency for general administrative tasks
- Resident of the Kinki area of Japan during the contract period
- At least two academic publications
- Teaching load: A minimum of eight classes per week, spread over five days
- Administrative responsibilities: Involvement in curriculum design and planning; materials development; counselling for course registration; participation in designated committees; entrance exam development, proctoring, and scoring; contributions to Doshisha’s international exchange programs; PR activities for recruiting new students (including demonstration lessons at some university events)
- Curriculum Vitae (履歴書, rirekisho), a list of academic publications (業績書, gyosekisho), and a list of previous work experience within Doshisha schools (職務経歴報告書, shokumukeireki-houkokusho) [if not applicable, please write “NA” or “なし” in the form].
- One offprint/copy of each of two academic publications, with an English synopsis (up to 300 words) for each publication
- Statement in English (about 1,000 words), explaining the reason for applying, including personal philosophy/comments regarding teaching methods
- Names and contact information of two references (affiliation, phone number, e-mail address)
- Copy of either Master’s degree certificate or Doctorate certificate
- Copy of TESOL diploma/certificate (if available)
- Copy of document(s) certifying qualification at a certain level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) or similar measurement of Japanese proficiency (if available)
Deadline for application:Application materials must arrive by 5 p.m., Friday, August 23, 2019, via registered mail (kakitome) or commercial parcel delivery (takuhaibin).
Send applications to:Professor Masahiro Minai, Dean
Faculty of Global Communications
1-3 Tatara Miyakodani, Kyotanabe
- Please print “ Application Documents (Contract) ” in red on the face of the envelope.
- After receipt of initial application materials, requests may be made for additional items.
- We may request to see original degree certificates/diplomas.
- Upon completion of initial screening procedures, final candidates will be interviewed in both English and Japanese, and may be asked to give a demonstration lesson.
- For those candidates who are requested to come to Doshisha for an interview, partial funding for transportation costs may be available according to the Faculty’s regulations regarding such funding.
- Candidates will be directly notified of the results upon completion of the process.
- Application materials cannot be returned.
*For inquiry regarding this recruitment, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application materials will be retained by the Faculty of Global Communications and will be safely disposed of after the selection. Personal information will not be used for purposes other than the selection, according to the Protection of Personal Information Law of Japan.